Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

Personal Budgets for an EHCP

A Personal Budget is an amount of money used to deliver all, or some, of the support set out in an Education Health and Care Plan.

It helps to give you and your child / young person more choice and control over the support you need.

It is not extra funding - if you have a Personal Budget, it does not mean you get any more, or any less funding to support your child / young person.

If you don't want a Personal Budget

If you do not feel a Personal Budget is right for you or your child, you do not have to have one.

It may not be possible to give you a Personal Budget.

This may be because:

  • The funding is already part of a larger budget, which cannot be separated. If this is the case, we will let you know why.
  • The Council may not agree to a Personal Budget. This may be due to safeguarding concerns and / or issues of consent. This will be discussed with you.

How much you will get

The amount you get will be identified by the Council.

It will depend on how much is available to spend on support for the needs of your child / young person.

Apply for a Personal Budget

You can ask for a Personal Budget at:

  • the planning meeting for a newly issued EHC Plan, or
  • at an Annual Review

We will look at each request for a Personal Budget individually.

If you choose to have a Personal Budget

A SEND Officer will discuss the Personal Budget with you.

They will develop a plan for how it will be managed, delivered and spent.

The Council will estimate the amount of funding available.

Personal Budget agreement

When these arrangements have been agreed, the SEND Officer will write a Personal Budget agreement.

The amount of funding available will be finalised.

This will form Section J of the EHC Plan.

If you don't agree with the plan, or the Personal Budget amount, you can make a complaint to the Council or health provider.

Using a Personal Budget

The way you use a Personal Budget will be agreed with you and included in the EHC Plan.

The funding must be used on the support / provision set out in Section F of the plan.

There are 4 ways Personal Budgets can be used:

  • Direct Payment: You get the funds to arrange the services yourself
  • A Notional Budget: The Council, school / setting, or institution holds the funds, and arranges the support
  • Third Party Arrangement: Funds are paid to, and managed by, an organisation on behalf of you or the young person
  • A combination of the above

What a Personal Budget can be used for

A Personal Budget can be used for support in education, health and care:


Personal Budgets are not available for something that the child / young person's school / setting already provides.

It could be used when the school / setting is unable meet the child's needs.

A Personal Budget may be used for:

  • specialised education equipment
  • individual support, this must be agreed by the school / setting
  • transport to and from the school / setting, this is called a Personal Travel Budget


If your child / young person gets NHS Continuing Healthcare, you have the right to ask for a Personal Health Budget.

The budget, and how it is managed, will be set out in Section G and Section J of the EHC Plan.

A Personal Health Budget may be used for:

  • therapies
  • personal care
  • specialised equipment

Social care

Under 18s

If your child / young person is under 18, the Council has a duty to offer Direct Payments for services it provides to children with disabilities or their families.

This might include:

  • support in your home (such as equipment, or help with personal and domestic activities)
  • access to services in the community
  • short breaks

Over 18s

If your young person is over 18, and:

  • has eligible care and support needs, or
  • if the Council has decided to meet their needs

The Personal Budget will be the overall financial commitment to meet the young person's needs.

The Personal Budget, and how it is managed, will be set out in Sections H1, H2, and J in the EHC Plan.


See Help with school and college transport: Personal Transport Budget.