Money and benefits

Benefits, allowances, discounts, grants and charities that can provide support.


  1. Overview
  2. Support in education
  3. Grants and discounts
  4. Types of benefits
  5. Benefits advice
  6. Support at university or work


You may be entitled to extra funding to support your child's learning and care. 

This might be paid directly to you, or to the school / setting your child / young person is attending. 

Support in education

Personal Budgets

Personal Budgets give you and your child / young person more choice and control over the support you need.

You can have a personal budget in education, health or social care (both adult social care and child social care). See:

Paying for childcare
The government website has information about the financial support available for childcare.

Free school meals
If you get certain benefits, your child may be entitled to free school meals.

Disability Access Fund
If your child needs a higher level of support, you may be able to apply for your child's school / setting to get extra funding through the Disability Access Fund.

Top-up funding
Schools / settings can apply for additional 'top-up' or 'high needs' funding from the Council to support their needs.

Grants and discounts 

Disabled Facilities Grant
If you need essential changes to your home, or extra facilities to help your child / young person stay / become independent, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. 

Max Cards
Max Cards offers discounts and free entry to attractions and venues across the country. 

Council Tax discounts
You may be eligible for a reduction in your council tax if your home has been adapted to meet the needs of someone living in the property that is disabled, or if they have a severe mental impairment.

Family Fund
Family Fund is a national charity that help families across the UK who are raising disabled or seriously ill children aged 17 or under.

Children Today
Children Today is a national charity that provides specialist equipment to families of children and young people with disabilities.  

Family Holiday Association
The Family Holiday Association is a national charity that offers short breaks and day trips for families struggling with issues such as mental health, domestic violence, bereavement and disabilities.  


Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
If your child is under 16, and has difficulties walking, or needs much more looking after than a child the same age who does not have a disability, they may be eligible for Disability Living Allowance.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
From age 16, people who have a long term physical or mental health condition or disability may be entitled to PIP to help with some of the extra costs.

Universal Credit
Universal Credit helps with living costs if you are on a low income, out of work or unable to work.  

Carer's Allowance
If you provide care for someone for at least 35 hours a week, and they receive certain benefits, you may be eligible to apply for Carer's Allowance, or have this element added to your Universal Credit.

Benefits advice 

Turn2Us offers advice and information on benefits and eligibility. They have an online benefit checker and grant finder.

EntitledTo is an independent online benefit calculator for both national and local benefits.  

The Contact service can provide advice and support for families with disabled children online and through telephone appointments.

Support at university or work

16-19 Bursary Fund
You may be entitled to a bursary to help with education related costs such as books, equipment and transport.  

Disabled Students Allowance
Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) is support to cover the study-related costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

Access to Work
All employers are legally required to make reasonable adjustments for those with a disability, physical or mental health condition that makes it hard for them to do their job. If the help you need is not covered by your employer making reasonable adjustments, you may be able to get help from Access to Work. This grant can pay for specialist equipment, adaptations, support worker services or travel.